Review: Obsidian (Lux #1)


Title: Obsidian 
Series: Lux #1
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: May 8th 2012
Genre: Paranormal Romance




“I didn't want to spoil the mood. This was probably the longest Daemon and I had ever spoken without some statement earning him the finger.”




***Mild spoilers***

THE GOOD:

The story:
Wow…just wow! I loved this book! As soon as Katy moves in next door to Daemon they are at each other throats, throwing insults at each other and generally giving the impression they despise one another. But it's clear that there is enough sexual tension between them to power the entire neighbourhood for a year! Every scene with them was electric!

The story is also full of lots of excitement with plenty of twists and turns as we follow the Luxens (aka 'good' alien's of light) try to protect each other & their identities from the Arum (aka 'bad' alien's of darkness).

The heroine:
The main character & narrator, Katy, is awesome - I loved how she has this real fiery, sarcastic attitude to her. She's not afraid to say what she thinks, especially to Daemon, which was a nice change from the normal push over style heroines we're used to. When Daemon was nasty or insulting her, she called him a d**khead, flipped him the bird (so many times I lost count) & poured spaghetti on him in the cafeteria (I loved that one!). She didn't take any of his crap, which I really appreciated.

“No. Sorry. You have spent months being the biggest jerk to me. You don't get to decide to like me one day and think I will forget that. I want someone to care for me like my dad cared for my mom. And you aren't him.”

oh snap gif photo


I also liked how Katy has a couple of other friends that she continues to hang out with after she becomes friends with Dee & discovers she's an alien. She doesn't just forget her other friends (which seems to happen a lot in other books like this).

The Writing:
Armentrout's writing style won me over. There was a real sense of humour to it that I really enjoyed. I think some people may find the narrator's voice irritating with her sarcastic comments, but if you read the blurb this gives a very good example of how the book reads. The book doesn't feel as dark & heavy as many paranormal books do & I personally found my self laughing quite a few times, which was very refreshing!

I was also really impressed by how well this story was constructed. With explanations on how the aliens arrived, how the government were dealing with it, and also how their alien powers worked. These details are gradually released through the story, generally as Katy discovers them.

THE BAD:
I have to admit I did find Daemon a little irritating at the beginning - I know that was his intention, to push her away to keep his sister safe, but I just felt at times he went a bit too far & was straight out nasty. As the book went on I started to like him more & when I read the few chapters at the end of the book told from Daemon's point of view, I started to understand his actions better. I think the story could have actually benefited from having both Katy & Daemon's perspective throughout the book (but I always love dual POV stories)

FINAL WORD:
Overall this was a really enjoyable book - fun, adventurous & smothered in sexual tension! Bring on Onyx!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium / intense kissing with partial nudity, discussions of sex
Violence: medium / character attacked & almost sexually assaulted, fighting scenes with aliens killed 
Language: mild-medium / d**khead, douche bag etc 
Drugs & alcohol: mild-medium / underage drinking at party



2 comments:

  1. i keep hearing such good things about this book, i bought it a few weeks ago and havent gotten around to reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check this one out - it's sexy and funny with hot aliens, what could be better! I'm really loving all of Armentrout's books, have you read her NA book Wait For You? It was awesome!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)