Top Ten Tuesday: Authors Who Deserve More Recognition


Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

(1) Jessica Shirvington
Seriously I can't speak highly enough of this woman. Not only are her stories amazing, but she had such a beautiful writing style that needs to be celebrated. You can tell her books are well researched and thought out. Just read The Violent Eden Chapters, that's all I can really say without turning into an embarrassing fan girl. (Who am I kidding it's too late for that - I am a total fan girl!)

I first discovered Julie through the Little Black Dress books - basically cute little chic lit novels. However Julie's books are so much more than fluffy chic lit! I especially loved Girl From Mars, I absolutely fell in love with this book. Getting Away With It was amazing too. The way she writes her heroines with charm, realistic floors and the perfect amount of wit make her stories so memorable. Philomena is still one of my favourite heroines, I just connected with her in so many ways.

(3) Magan Vernon
Writing a story centred around political opinions is not easy but Magan did a seriously amazing job at it in The Only Exception. Both main characters, Monica & Trey have very different opinions, but instead of having one have the 'correct opinion', Magan allows them both to voice their views and gives the reader the opportunity to make their own choice - that is great writing IMO. And not only that but she wrote a nice boy hero - yes that's right heroes do exist that aren't tortured man whores with abusive families *claps for Vernon*

(4) Autumn Doughton
I discovered Autumn's book One An Edge Of Glass a few months ago, and it's still one of my favourites for the year! I think it has a lot to do with the hero Ben - a musician who plays in a rock band & and orchestra - yeah this boy has many layers! I've read a lot a NA romances this year and although I've enjoyed them, many lack great writing, but Autumn's writing style was just so refreshing!

(5) Nichole Chase
When I first read Suddenly Royal I wasn't expecting such an amazing book - but I simply loved it. More than just another NA romance, the characters had substance and the storyline was engaging. I can't wait to read the sequel or her soon to be released book The Accidental Assassin

(6) Rachel Harris
I absolutely loved her YA novel My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century and I'm currently reading the sequel A Tale Of Two Centuries. Her writing is so wonderfully descriptive her stories just come to life. Not only does she write YA but also adult fiction to with Taste the Heat just being published - a woman of many talents!

(7) Diana Peterfreund
Her book For Darkness Shows The Stars which was an futuristic adaptation of Persuasion by Jane Austen was absolutely beautifully written. I had very high expectations as Persuasion is my favourite Austen novel and this didn't disappoint! She cleverly included all the necessary character traits & important plot points, but added enough new elements to make this a unique adaptation.

(8) Elizabeth Norris
I loved her novel Unraveling and the fact that it's a sci-fi novel that still appeals to those who are not big on sci-fi. She has made the genre more accessible which is fabulous! The series deals with science fiction elements without becoming too clinical.

(9) Melina Marchetta
I remember reading her first book Looking For Alibrandi in high school. It did go on to win many awards in Australia and was also made into a movie, however I still feel she deserves more recognition (especially overseas) for her amazing writing talent. I'm still surprised by how many people haven't even heard of her

(10) Sawyer Bennett
I've recently read her NA books Off The Record & Off Limits, and loved that she was not only able to write a steamy romance but match it with a solid storyline! Her characters are well developed and her sexy scenes are quite creative!

Well those are my Top Ten Ten - what about yours?

13 comments:

  1. Yay I picked Melina Marchetta too! I love her so much, her books are awesome. Would love her to get more recognition over here

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right her books are books are awesome and so emotional!

      Delete
  2. I think I'm going to have to try On The Edge of Glass, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you must check it out - it really was such a beautiful romantic story!!

      Delete
  3. Wooo! I picked Rachel too! And I almost put Nichole! Great picks Amy! Definitely agree with Sawyer too! I have a lot of those other books on my TBR already! Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess :D Rachel is so totally awesome right?! And I am desperate to read more books from all these authors. I can't stop fan girling over all of them haha!!

      Delete
  4. I really want to read For darkness shows the stars, I heard so many great things about it!

    My TTT:
    http://evelinesbooks.blogspot.nl/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is great - it's just so beautifully written!

      Delete
  5. Haven't read that book from Melina Marchetta yet, but enjoyed On the Jellicoe Road. Looking forward to it. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite, I haven't read On The Jellicoe Road, but I plan to! Saving Francesca was really great too. And I really want to check out Finnikin of the Rock :)

      Delete
  6. Haven't heard of many of these, but For Darkness Shows the Stars is on my TBR. Can't wait to get to it. Thanks for stopping by my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liesel :) I hope you enjoy For Darkness Shows the Stars as much I did!

      Delete
  7. Jessica Shirvington was on my list too! Love that series! I was crying the last ten or so chapters of Endless. Love Lincoln! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)