Review: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century (Rachel Harris)

Title: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century
Series: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century #1
Author: Rachel Harris
Published: September 18th 2012
Genre: YA Historical Fantasy
Rating: 5/5
BLURB:
On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family’s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.

Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore. Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?

REVIEW:
The story:
This story is basically my dream - to go back in time to when all the great artists of Europe walked the earth - seriously I actually dream of this! I loved all the historical references scattered throughout the story, they made the story come alive - I felt like I had really travelled back in time. 

After travelling back to Renaissance Italy Cat is launched into a world she does't recognise but takes it all in as an exciting adventure. She's confronted with many foreign situations and makes some hilarious fax pas. This was such a fun and exciting journey we are taken on, but we also get to see Cat grow as a character. 

This is such a light and sweet novel, but there is a more serious storyline with Cat's home life. Being the daughter of two famous parents, Cat hates being in the spotlight. Her mother, who left them at and early age doesn't give her the love and attention she desires. Cat struggles with being abandoned by her mother and this affects how she trusts other people, including Lorenzo & her step-mother-to-be back home. She learns a lot, especially from her 16th Century family. Her trip gives her a new perspective on her life back home.

The characters:
Cat is one of the most awesome characters I've read in a long time and I want her to be real, so then we can be friends and talk about the amazingness talent that was Michelangelo! She has this sassy spunk about her that had me laughing out loud - some of her lines were fabulous. She doesn't try to pull back on her 21st century language and attitude which makes her stand out for all the right reasons.

Lorenzo, oh Lorenzo…he is quite simply swoon worthy. Charming is probably the best way I could describe him. A painter with delicious golden hair and sweet but cocky smile - who would say no to that! But like any good hero he also has a sweet & caring side reserved for Cat.

The secondary characters where also really great, especially Alessandra (aka Less) she was one of my favourites of the entire story. It was also really refreshing to have a caring family in a YA book. They show concern for Cat and teach her valuable lessons that she takes back with her to the 21st Century.

The romance:
Cat & Lorenzo are so adorable together! Their romance had that first love sweetness to it that you can't help but awwww to when reading their scenes together. There first kiss had me jumping up & down and squealing like a teenage girl at a slumber party! Gahhh these two were just so adorable together!!

The Writing:
I love how Rachel has cleverly combined the 16th & 21st centuries into one story. This book doesn't feel like an historical romance but it also doesn't read like a contemporary - the cross over between the two time periods was very effective. The witty dialogue was also really fun and vibrant.

FINAL WORD:
This super sweet romance is perfect for lovers of both historical & contemporary novels. The ending for this absolutely killed me and I am so utterly thankful that I have the sequel ready to go! I'm also really excited that Less gets her own story because I really loved her character and she deserves a little time travelling romance too! Bring on Austin!!!!

CONTENT:
Sexuality: mild / some kissing
Violence: none
Language: none
Drugs & alcohol: very mild / Cat has a glass of wine with family dinner


I will be posting my review for the sequel "A Tale Of Two Centuries" later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)