{Review} One Tiny Lie by K.A. Tucker

Title: One Tiny Lie
Series: Ten Tiny Breathes #2
Author: K.A. Tucker
Published: 11th June 2013
Age Group: New Adult
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: Paperback provided by Simon & Schuster for fair & honest review
Rating: 4/5

BLURB:
Livie has always been the stable one of the two Cleary sisters, handling her parents' tragic death and Kacey's self-destructive phase with strength and maturity. But underneath that exterior is a little girl hanging onto the last words her father ever spoke to her. “Make me proud,” he had said. She promised she would...and she’s done her best over the past seven years with every choice, with every word, with every action.

Livie walks into Princeton with a solid plan, and she’s dead set on delivering on it: Rock her classes, set herself up for medical school, and meet a good, respectable guy that she’s going to someday marry. What isn’t part of her plan are Jell-O shots, a lovable, party animal roommate she can’t say ‘no’ to, and Ashton, the gorgeous captain of the men’s rowing team. Definitely him. He’s an arrogant ass who makes Livie’s usually non-existent temper flare and everything she doesn’t want in a guy. Worse, he’s best friends and roommates with Connor, who happens to fits Livie’s criteria perfectly. So why does she keep thinking about Ashton?

As Livie finds herself facing mediocre grades, career aspirations she no longer thinks she can handle, and feelings for Ashton that she shouldn’t have, she’s forced to let go of her last promise to her father and, with it, the only identity that she knows.

REVIEW:
The story:
Livie has her whole life planned out. She's going to Princeton, just like her late father, and going on to Medical school to become a children's oncologist. At not point do college parties or a sexy rowing captain factor into her plans. But her sister Kacey has other ideas. Kacey is worried Livie is too focussed on her studies and is missing out on having fun. She enlists the help of her psychiatrist, Dr. Stayner, to talk to Livie and encourage her to embrace to entire college experience. After Livie tears herself away from the books one night and lets loose, she sets off a series of events that cause her to question her future for the first time in her life.

The characters:
Livie starts out as this quite and thoughtful girl. We see her grow and make mistakes as she truly discovers who she is. I would have liked to of seen her stand up to her therapist a bit more. I felt like she just did exactly whatever he told her to, even though she didn't want to. And although she did grow a lot throughout the book, she never really did challenge him.

I wanted to like Ashton I really did, but some of his behaviour just made me a little frustrated. On the one hand I was mad at the way he treated his girlfriend, but on the other hand, I could understand his reasons and I felt for him and everything that he'd gone through. So I think the jury is still out on my feelings for him.

The romance:
This is the second book I've read is as many weeks that has involved cheating as a major theme. And again is has affected my overall feeling towards the characters. I loved Livie and Ashton together - he brought her out of her shell and showed her how to embrace life. But all the while knowing that he has a girlfriend (a sweet and oblivious girlfriend no less) really tainted their romance. I just can't condone his behaviour and lost a little respect for Livie, since she knew she wasn't the first girl that he'd cheated with. Minus the cheating, their romance was really sweet.

The writing:
I really enjoyed the fact that there was some humor in the story. While some NA books take on heavy subjects and can sometimes feel depressing, the humor and witty dialogue gave the book a much lighter feeling, which was excellent.

FINAL WORD:
One Tiny Lie is a story of making mistakes and learning that you can't plan everything in life. I will certainly be continuing with this series.

CONTENT:
Sexuality: medium / sex scene
Violence: none
Language: medium / several f words
Drugs & alcohol: medium-strong / main character gets extremely drunk

6 comments:

  1. I need to get caught up on this series, I am really curious how Livie's story plays out and I'm curious about Ashton. Idk how I will deal with the cheating but we shall see. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the cheating ruined the overall story, so I would definitely still recommend it! Can't wait to see what you think of it Teresa :)

      Delete
  2. Amy I enjoyed this one too but the next book..gasps is even better!! I really enjoy how this author makes you feel the characters emotions and loved her shrink he had a huge impact even if he didn't have a lot of page time:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo now I'm even more excited to read the next one!!! So true her shrink was totally crazy - but in a good way of course lol!!

      Delete
  3. Great Review Amy! The cheating aspect would really bother me too! I love that this was a light read and had humor in it as well. I need to start this series. So many people love it! I like the message in the story that you can't plan everything in life.

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone seemed to be reading this series, so I thought it was time to see what the fuss was all about! I think she nails the emotional side of thing and really gets you invested in the character's lives

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by & feel free to leave a comment...I love comments!!! And I'm always happy to spread the comment love around :)